First, I have to thank/blame Chris Whong for this adventure. Please check out his blog. http://chriswhong.com/open-data/foil_nyc_taxi/
All my work can be found on github - https://github.com/tswanson/TaxiNYC2013
Initially, I tried to normalize and compress the data down enough to make it searchable in some form. For about 4hrs I had a 5GB zipped file of the on my dropbox. I tweeted that the data was available to download and soon I got an email saying my dropbox account was suspended. The lesson learned is that the free dropbox only allows for 20GB of downloads per day.
I next decided to try and create a table of total counts by neighborhoods for total origin/pickup and destination/drop-off. Long story short, the output ended up looking like this:
Get your own copy here.
The corresponding shapefile.
A map version looks like this:
I've also started experimenting with making some maps with the data. Here are the first two:
A sample of the processed data for one day, April 30th, 2013, can be found here. If you are interested in more of the data or a specific slice of it, message me @mrsp105 and I will try to assist.